Volunteer Opportunities at Because You Care
BYC is a volunteer organization. We rely on the dedication and talent of people willing to donate their time on a regular basis. Below are several ways in which people often donate their time and talents. If you have a talent that you'd like to offer and you think could be of help to us but your skill is not listed here, please let us know.
- Adoption center: Help around the center by cleaning, feeding, scooping litter, and socializing cats and dogs.
- Bake sales: Provide baked goods various times throughout the year
- Coordinate volunteers: Call volunteers and organize staffing schedules for events
- Sell candy bars: Sell Daffin's Chocolate to support TNR.
- Crafts: Donate crafts for Chinese auctions, sew cat and dog beds
- Fundraising/Event planning: We have several annual activities and always welcome more
- Volunteer at events: Staff tables, sell merchandise, set-up/clean-up, etc.
- Answer phone lines: Document recorded messages, help respond to calls
- TNR: Assist persons interested in reducing feral populations in their areas
- TV: Serve as a spokesperson and show animals on local news channels
- Vet tech services: Provide routine medical care (as allowed by law), including testing for feline leukemia and heartworm and the administration of routine shots, excluding rabies
- Foster pets: One of the most rewarding and perhaps challenging ways to volunteer is to become one of the families to see down-and-out cats or dogs through their transformation to a loving family pet. Because it's such a tough activity, we expect new foster homes to be capable self-starters who are willing to learn and work within our system. It takes a special person/family to foster.
- Pet representative: Like fostering, this is one of the most challenging but most rewarding activities. “Reps” guide foster families, maintain the health records, ensure animals receive veterinary care and supplies they need and process adoptions (including screening interested homes). Experienced reps may also open new foster homes and train foster homes to be their own representatives. It is very time-intensive, and we're looking for volunteers willing to commit for several years.
Apply to Become a Volunteer
Our biggest need is for volunteers who are willing to plan and organize fundraisers and who can help set up, clean up and serve at events. See the list to the left for descriptions of ways to help, then fill out the form below if you would like to become involved.
All fields are required. You will be notified if a field is empty or filled in incorrectly.
You must be over 16 to volunteer unless accompanied by a parent or responsible adult.
*Fostering and "repping" are both time and energy intensive activities, and not all applications for these positions will be accepted. Adoption center volunteers will be accepted based on our needs.