Leadership Announcement: Executive Director at Because You Care, Inc.
About Because You Care
Because You Care, Inc. (BYC) is a non-profit organization founded in 1981 for the sole purpose of abolishing decompression chambers, then commonly found throughout Pennsylvania, as a means of euthanasia. With the passage of House Bill 350 in December of 1983, this goal was accomplished!
Since then, Because You Care has been dedicated to the rescue, treatment, and placement of stray and abandoned cats and dogs. BYC, a volunteer-driven organization, rescues strays and abandoned pets in Erie, PA, and surrounding areas. Our dog center works with partner shelters outside of PA to bring in dogs that are at a high risk of euthanasia and places them for adoption in our area.
All rescued animals begin their journey with us living with families in volunteer foster homes, where they receive any necessary medical care and socialization. Once they are ready for adoption, they typically move to our adoption center. At the center, cats live in a homelike, cage-free setting, complete with comfortable furniture, cat trees, and lots of windows for bird watching. Dogs live in large kennel suites and volunteers make sure they are well exercised in our large fenced play yards and walked on the trails adjacent to the center. There is also an indoor playroom for inclement weather. Using this progressive model, the personality, habits, and health of pets become well known over time, enhancing the ability of BYC to place them in adoptive homes that are a good match, and potential adopters can interact with the animals they are interested in before making their decision.
Because You Care works actively to reduce the number of unwanted stray pets. To this end, all cats and dogs receive necessary veterinary care, which includes vaccinations, health testing, and spaying/neutering at the appropriate age. All dogs are microchipped as part of the adoption process.
A successful Executive Director candidate will share the values and vision of Because You Care by possessing a profound commitment to improving the lives of cats and dogs through a compassionate and positive model of fostering and adoption and by working with the Board of Directors and the BYC community on strategies and initiatives that improve that model of fostering and adoption. Providing visionary leadership, strategic planning, and policy development for Because You Care, the Executive Director is also responsible for the overall management and evaluation of its programs, services, personnel, policies, procedures, and budget. The Executive Director represents Because You Care in a positive manner with a high degree of integrity and compassion. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director is responsible for the administrative and programmatic oversight, management, and day-to-day operations of the organization, which includes:
- Overseeing all critical functions of the adoption center including volunteer recruitment, implementation of marketing and other communications efforts, management of foster home screening and intake processes, and management of the adoption application review and screening process;
- Directing the recruitment, hiring, training, and supervision of BYC personnel as well as appraising the performance of, providing feedback to, and giving guidance for BYC personnel and ensuring employees and volunteers are in compliance with BYC policies and procedures;
- Establishing operational and administrative policies and procedures for the operation of the adoption center and overseeing the adoption process;
- Working closely with the BYC veterinarian to assure that appropriate care is given to every BYC animal and that budgetary guidelines are being communicated to and followed by the veterinarian;
- Overseeing maintenance of the kennel licensure as required by the PA Law and assuring that liability training is provided to volunteers and that liability waivers are on file;
- Developing and managing the BYC budget;
- Reviewing and approving contracts;
- Raising funds for BYC in coordination with the development and events committees;
- Directing planning processes to respond to current and future BYC program needs and projects;
- Overseeing all adoption center expansion projects;
- Maintaining strong working relationships with other rescue organizations and with the external community;
- Serving as primary spokesperson to the media, public, and the organization’s constituents;
- Leading strategic planning and managing its implementation.
- Commitment to the values and vision of BYC— specifically, a profound commitment to improving the lives of cats and dogs through a compassionate and positive adoption process.
- Knowledge and understanding of current issues and trends in animal rescue, fundraising, and non-profit organizations.
- Capability to effectively balance high-level strategic thinking with hands-on engagement in daily activities.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills to engage and inspire audiences and persuasively articulate the value of BYC’s distinct brand of rescue organization.
- Capacity to build on relationships across the organization with volunteers, employees, fosters, adopters, and other stakeholders to authentically engage and mobilize the BYC community in support of the mission.
- Knowledge of information systems and technology to inform data-driven decision-making.
- Ability to successfully mentor, support, and motivate staff while holding them to the highest standards of excellence using outstanding management and supervision skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude to remain calm and effectively manage, plan, and coordinate in response to crisis or emergency situations.
- Capacity to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment required.
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours. Vacation restrictions apply during times of peak activity.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree.
- Two to four years of experience working in a nonprofit organization.
- Experience with animals, animal rescue, or commensurate experience that would provide the candidate the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to be able to perform the functions of this position.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inquiries and questions about this position can be directed to Dr. Laura Zirkle, President of Board of Directors of BYC, at Laura@becauseyoucare.org.
Review of the applications will begin on May 18, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled with the understanding that the start date for the selected candidate is flexible.
No references will be contacted without the candidate’s permission.